no, your point of natural causes for this beaching of pilot whales is not supported, and is insupportable without necropsy of inner ear. That has already shown that powerful submarines sonars will shatter inner ears of whales, case bleeding into a brain, and disorientation.
Also large earthquake might produce loud underwater sound frequencies, harming the animals, I suppose.
1. acknowledge that the article was poorly researched and one sided. Compare to Wikipedia http://en.
2. Wikipedia -"pilot whales are susceptible to beaching", and beached in the past as a direct consequence of a /loud/ sonar. - EXTREMELY good link -> http://eng
3. the key logic here is - each whales species are differently vulnerable to new loud military sonars because their inner ears RESONATE at different frequencies. So New Zealand pilot whales beached - were killed - after military ships used sonars to look for wrecks /see link above/. And other species - Cuvier Beaked are killed when other sonars are used.
4. it has also to do with where species lives compared to where military trains.
5. the point is that necropsies need to be done to find out if/how whales inner ears are shattered and causing inner bleeding to brain, disorientation and death.
6. ok, also natural causes - i'd propose underwater earthquakes too, but i will concede this point to you - provided necropsy shows no shattered bleeding inner ear - that disease, scare, confusion, hunting, is causing mass stranding.
7. it is a good sign that US military acknowledged this issue and is working on it.
8. now, what the heck is "underwater seismic testing" ?
About Natural Disasters
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost